CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Yummy Zucchini Casserole

This is the time of year when all your hard work in the garden should start to pay off. You know, the time when you start to have extra veggies laying around waiting to be used before up or forgotten about until they are a nasty mess. (Please tell me I am not alone in that...) Never underestimate the power of one little zucchini plant! NEVER. Or so I can remember.
I used to have a thriving little garden in my backyard. Cute and perfect sized to manage and very productive- but a whole lot of work! Then one summer, I was huge and pregnant and totally unable to tend to the garden like I wanted. It died. To say the least. I have yet to start a new one successfully. A couple of seasons ago, my loving husband decided that we should try raised planter box gardens and so he built a couple of them. Good idea, but we just couldn't get them going like they should have and so I think we only got 2 tomatoes and a couple of zucchinis from the whole summer. Big bummer. Sooooo... I gave up. It is definitely something that I would like to start again. But for now, I have to settle for buying it in the store at a ridiculously high price. Grrrrr. And I will! Because I have the most yummy recipe for zucchini casserole that we make when my husband or I get a hankering for it. And as luck would have it, he requested it last Sunday for Father's day so I thought I would share the recipe with you. Hope you are able to try it. Enjoy!

Zucchini Casserole

1 large onion, chopped
1 tbsp. minced garlic
2 tbsp. olive oil
saute the above ingredients in large frying pan until onions are softened.
Add:
8-10 cups shredded zucchini
Cook until softened. Remove from heat and allow to cool. Add salt and pepper to taste along with 4-6 shakes of Tabasco sauce.
Cube 8 slices of wheat bread. Set aside.
In a separate bowl, beat 6 eggs.
Add bread and eggs to cooled zucchini mixture.
Add 2 1/2 cups grated cheddar cheese and stir to distribute evenly.
Place in greased 9x13 baking dish and cover with foil.
Bake in 325 degree preheated oven for  45 minutes and then remove foil. Bake for an additional 45-60 minutes or until center is set. Allow to cool for 10 minutes and then serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.