CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Have Yourself a Cheaper Sign

A couple of friends and I had noticed some adorable signs at Barn Owl Primitives which we had convinced ourselves we could do cheaper. (She charges $70 plus $16 for shipping!! That is WAAAAY out of my range of affordability.) And so... we made our own. We got together one morning to give it a shot. You know what?? It was not hard at all to make. Now, Barn Owl hand paints hers, but we decided to do the Silhouette stencil method. We each varied our technique a little, but ended up with similar results. Mine was done by painting a board about 11 1/2 " x 18" in a red shade of acrylic, twice, then allowed it to dry. Then I applied the Silhouette cut letters and painted a light buttermilk acrylic over the whole board and allowed that coat to dry for a few minutes and then removed the vinyl letter stickers and allowed it to dry completely. Then you are supposed to apply the negative space of the "little" vinyl sticker to the board to stencil the word. I brain farted, of course and applied the "positive" word sticker to the board inappropriately. Grrrr. So, I had to come up with a solution to my issue since I ran out of time and had finish my project at home WITHOUT a Silhouette to cut another word with. (HINT: If anyone would like to send me a COMPLETELY AWESOME Silhouette machine for Christmas, I would love you forever.) Anyway, I ended up tracing around the "little" with a pencil and then removing the stickers and hand painted it. Hooray! I was a quick thinker. I am absolutely in love with the results. I attached a tulle bow to the hanger that I had added and am displaying it on my wreath hook (until I make that wreath that I have been dreaming about... to be continued...)

2 comments:

  1. Ha! I love the title of the post! I am ALL for saving $$$! Would you please share this with my readers for Fun Stuff Fridays linky party? http://www.toysinthedryer.com/2011/12/fun-stuff-fridays-3.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is really cute!! $86 bucks for a sign is pretty high! I'm a new follower! :)

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.