CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, January 8, 2012

Ranchero Sauce Recipe

Tonight we had our beloved chili rellanos. I love those things! One of the things that makes them so tasty is the sauce that we smother all over them. I posted the recipe earlier here if you are interested in making them yourself. Of course, if you decide to make the rellanos, you will need some sauce to go with them. Kind of like the mouse and the cookie story. (All you mother's of preschoolers will get the joke. I expect to hear a snicker... lol.) So I thought I would post it on here as well. This recipe's flavors are developed as they simmer, so, feel free to clean the kitchen or do laundry (or practice your golf swing or change a tire) ;-) while it is on the stove. Just be sure to come back and check it frequently and give it a little stir to be sure it won't burn. I always adjust the seasonings depending on my current palate. Some days I am all spicy-loving and some days I need more bland. You get the idea. Have fun and make it the way you like it. Here is the basic recipe:



Ranchero Sauce
Makes a bunch, like, 6 cups or so. (I never measured the final amount.)


2 medium white or yellow onions, diced finely
1 bell pepper, seeded and diced finely
2 tbsp. minced garlic
1 whole jalapeno, seeded and minced
2 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. mild chili powder, such as New Mexico or California
1 tsp. Mexican oregano
1/2 tsp. marjoram
1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
1 tsp. salt
2 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tbsp. chicken bouillon powder (caldo de pollo)
1 can petite diced tomatoes
1 can diced tomatoes with chili peppers
1 small can tomato sauce

Dice the onions and saute them in vegetable oil on medium heat until they soften and begin to turn golden. Add the canned tomatoes and sauce, bell pepper, garlic, and seasonings. Allow to come to a simmer. Add garlic and jalapenos and stir. Allow to simmer for about an hour, stirring every 10 minutes or so.
Taste and adjust seasonings as needed. (I usually end up adding more chocolate and caldo de pollo at this point and often another teaspoon or so of sugar. Something bizarre happens as it simmers and it doesn't really taste sweet with the sugar and chocolate. So don't let that freak you out. It just perks up the tomato and chili flavors but tones down the spiciness, if that is an issue.) Let the whole thing simmer for about another half an hour or so and allow to cool a bit before you serve it. We like it best just a little bit warmer than room temperature. Enjoy! Oh... get this... the flavor changes as it is refrigerated, so, be sure to taste it the next day and see what new adventure you can go on with it. ;-) It is like, 2 sauces in one! Ok, maybe not that dramatic, but I feel like enticing you to see what the heck I am talking about by making some for yourself. Yes, I am a sauce pusher. Guilty...

3 comments:

  1. Saved to my bookmarks, because I can never find the original copy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh good! I think it has changed a little since the last time I gave it to you. Made a few little refinements. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my!! Looks and sounds delish! I'm your newest follower.

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.