CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, March 2, 2012

Dr. Seuss Tradition

Today, March 2nd, is Dr. Seuss' birthday! Now, I have been reading Dr. Seuss to the kids since they were just buns in the oven. Literally. Always loved the rhyming and whimsy of the stories. I am further loving that there is a resurgence of appreciation for his work- movies and everything. Super cool, if you ask me. Anyway... Our kids' school offers a special breakfast of green eggs and ham for $2 a plate, but we have been doing our own tradition since before my kids were even in school.. I always buy a little turkey ham, cut it into cubes and add it to green scrambled eggs. We eat that with donuts (usually just the holes, but I went with Hostess store bought this year,) and orange wedges. The kids bought giant felt "Seussian" hats and pencils with giant printed erasers, and we chose "Green Eggs and Ham" to read this year during our feast. I hope they enjoy it as much as I do. I was sad that my sixth grade "tough guy" felt too old to participate. Shucks. At least he ate the breakfast and threw away his paper plate without being reminded! (I will take what I can get...) And, get this, my 15 year old was happy about the traditional green egg breakfast (even though her ride came before she could hear the story and get goofy with her brother and sister.) I may have to have her to sit on my lap this afternoon, when she gets home from being a high school freshman, and read it to her as if she were 3. Yes. That is a great idea if you ask me. Think she will buy it?? Hahaha. Why can't time stand still??
“I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells. Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living.”
― Dr. Seuss

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.