CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, July 3, 2011

Summer Veggie Burlap Wreath

I finally had a few inspiring moments and was able to put together my burlap wreath that has been sitting unfinished under my craft table for, oh, 2 months or so. I don't know what it is about me but if I am stressed in the least, my creativity takes a vacation along with my sanity. Or so it seems. So my friends, if I post anything remotely handmade or semi-cute you will know that things are good. ;-) Today... things are good.

First thing I did was remove the plastic cover from the wreath. Big mistake. Because, I discovered that straw wreaths have this transparent cording that keeps the straw from falling out. Makes sense, right? How else will the straw be kept in the wreath and not all over your table?? Yes, well, I discovered what happens when you remove the plastic covering and then cut through the cording on accident. You get a huge annoying mess that makes your vacuum become your new best friend. Oops. Won't be doing that again... Next step is to quickly cover your straw wreath with 2" (or so) burlap strips that you wind around the form until it's completely covered and not falling apart anymore.

Then I moved on to the veggies. I cut some fabric, grabbed a small handful of polyester fiberfill and literally smooshed it all together and hot glued it until I had a somewhat recognizable vegetable shape and then hot glued that to the wreath form. I don't know if you can tell what they are but they are supposed to be corn, a tomato and a carrot. At least they are in my world.

Then I grabbed a wood rectangle shape that I had on hand, inked it up like crazy with my Stampin'Up ink (in Purely Pomegranate for those interested parties...) and then sanded the edges with sandpaper. I used my Cricut to cut the word "summer" in vinyl and then quickly RE_CUT the word in vinyl again so that it would FIT on my rectangle shape. Darn waste... Yet another lesson I learned. Probably should have measured the area first. As it is, it is smaller than I wanted it but I'll be darned if I cut it a third time. Heck no! I am too frugal for that. My fabulous husband drilled holes for me on the sides of the rectangle while I was busy being annoyed by my Cricut mistake. Then I attached the wood to the wreath form with jute cording.

Last step was to cut a strip of coordinating fabric and fashion it into a bow/hanger and call it a day. So there ya have it. I think I like it. Yeah. I do. I like it. Or at the very least, I am glad that it is done. Hooray!

5 comments:

  1. I like it a lot! Summer Harvesty ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so clever! Love it!
    Following you
    Ladeedacreations.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really appreciate you linking up this wonderful post at the Creative Bloggers' Party & Hop Jen :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jen,

    I love this idea! So very cute!

    Thank you for sharing it at my link party!

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.