Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Really yummy bread pudding I made for MOPS group

    •    Tomorrow morning is MOPS group meeting. I am excited to go because I missed the last couple of meetings. It just so happens that it is also my table's turn to bring breakfast. I chose to make this bread pudding because it was a big hit the last time I brought it. Came home with a totally cleaned out casserole dish. VERY easy and very yummy. I have made this for Christmas morning before but substituted eggnog for one of the cups of milk. Super good too. I will try to remember to post a picture when it comes out of the oven. But for now, it rests in the refrigerator until the morning. And now, so will I...


      **Update** Well would you look at that! I remembered the photo. Yay! Kinda looks like a pile of mush, if you ask me. Good thing it doesn't TASTE like a pile of mush or we all would have been in trouble. As suspected, it came home 93% empty. I ate the other 7% for lunch a few minutes ago, minus the sauce. I am a happy camper. :) 

      Avila Bread Pudding 

      8 eggs

      3 cups milk

      2 tbsp. coffee creamer, flavor of your choice (I used vanilla caramel by Coffee Mate)

      3/4 cup sugar

      1/4 teaspoon salt

      1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

      1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg

      2 teaspoon vanilla extract

      8 cups soft bread cubes

    • 1/3 cup sugar
    • 2 tablespoons cornstarch
    • 1/4 teaspoon salt
    • 1-2/3 cups cold water
    • 3 tablespoons butter
    • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
    • 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg


    In a large bowl, lightly beat eggs. Add milk to the eggs along with sugar, spices and vanilla.

    Add bread cubes to large baking dish. Carefully pour egg mixture over bread cubes, making sure all cubes are submerged by the custard. Cover with foil and refrigerate 8 hours or up to 24

    Bake in preheated 350 oven for 50-60 minutes or until knife inserted near edge, comes out clean.

    Meanwhile, for sauce, combine the sugar, cornstarch and salt in a saucepan. Stir in water until smooth. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat. Stir in the butter, vanilla and nutmeg. Serve with warm pudding.


  1. Thanks! I think it is a keeper recipe. Seems to work out every time. :)

  2. Jen, the directions have dots through them at least on my computer.
    Your blog is inspiring!

  3. Thanks for the heads up Greg! That happened when I tried to post it the first time. I thought I got rid of them. Hmmmm. Rookie mistake, I guess. I will look into it. :)


Powered by Blogger.